About Coleg Harlech WEA(N)
Coleg Harlech Workers' Educational Association (North Wales) was formed on 1 August 2001 by the merger of two of Wales’ oldest adult education bodies. The Workers’ Educational Association (North Wales) established in 1925 as the North Wales District of the Workers' Educational Association. Coleg Harlech was established in 1927 by Tom Jones, Deputy Secretary to the Cabinet to both David Lloyd-George and Stanley Baldwin, to continue the work of WEA in a residential environment.
The merged Association has continued the common longstanding tradition of liberal arts adult education to enable adults to develop their capacity to learn and fulfil their potential, but has also continued to enlarge this by developing vocational education and training, including providing opportunities for socially and educationally disadvantaged adults both in residence at Harlech and in communities and workplaces across North and Mid Wales.
As part of the centenary celebrations a book has been written detailing the history of the Association
"Changing Lives" is edited by Joe England with a foreward by Glenys Kinnock.
For a copy of the book please contact Iona Jones by email or by tel 01766 780363.
To enhance the life chances of adults through the delivery of high quality education that promotes employability, enrichment, health and well being giving due regard to the Welsh language and culture.
In Victorian times most British people were not encouraged to learn more than the vocational skills they might need to serve the economy; other kinds of learning remained the preserve of the privileged few.
The WEA began as a grass roots movement to make access to learning available to all adults. It was encouraged from the beginning by the trades unions and the Co-operative Society, leading figures in the church and non-conformist circles and Oxford University, where the Association was officially launched in August 1903.
Today more than a century later the WEA is the UK's largest voluntary provider of adult education.
The Association is a registered charity with the Charity Commission (registration number 525785) and a company limited by guarantee (registered number 226336).
The main source of funding is the Welsh Assembly Government as a designated institution under the Further and Higher Education Act 1992.